This is the EASIEST Baked Chicken Chimichanga Recipe you’ll ever try. This quick 6-ingredient recipe is perfect for busy nights when you don’t want to cook. Made with rotisserie chicken, salsa, and baked in the oven this might become a new weekly favorite.Jump to Recipe
Table of contents
Sometimes I don’t feel like cooking that’s why I need some quick and easy options. When I’m looking for something quick and easy I tend to make pasta or some type of Mexican food like burritos. This easy baked chicken chimichangas recipe has quickly become a family favorite.
The recipe is very customizable so you can make these whenever you’re in the mood and make adjustments as you go so you don’t get tired of them.
Ingredients for Bake Chicken Chimichangas
There are a total of 6 ingredients for this baked chicken chimichangas recipe which most are common pantry and kitchen staples. Here’s what you need to make these chimichangas:
- Rotisserie chicken – this is the star of the show. The rotisserie chicken gives an added layer of flavor.
- Salsa – using salsa flavors the chicken, adds a few veggies, and keeps the chicken tender and moist.
- Cheese – chimichangas aren’t complete without some stringy melty cheese.
- Flour tortillas – I like to use the large burrito tortilla for this recipe this is helpful when rapping them.
- Green onions – also known as scallons. This adds some onion flavor to the chimichangas.
- Cumin – no Mexican recipe is complete without some cumin. This adds a rich smokey flavor that really is tasty.
How to Make Baked Chicken Chimichangas
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- In a bowl combine the salsa, cumin, and green onions.
- Make sure the chicken is shredded so there are no big clumps.
- Add the chicken to the salsa mixture and stir to combine.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Place an 1/8th of the chicken mixture in the middle of a tortilla fold in the sides and roll up to secure then place in a casserole dish that’s been sprayed with some baking spray.
- Repeat this process 7 more times.
- Spray this top with a little baking oil spray.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Top with your favorite salsa, lazy girl guac (avocado + salsa), sour cream, or a mixture of all three!
How do I store baked chicken chimichangas?
If you have any leftovers, you’ll want to store them in a plastic container with a lid in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. To reheat, place them in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. You can also reheat them in the air fryer for a crispier crust.
What substitutions can I make?
The substitutions are really endless. You can switch out the rotisserie chicken for turkey, ground beef, or even steak. Add black beans or refried beans in addition to or use it as a meat replacement.
You can also add different vegetables like corn, olives, cauliflower, or other favorite veggies.
If you’re dairy-free, you can leave out the cheese or add in dairy-free cheese.
The options are endless when you make substitutions for these baked chimichangas.
More recipes you might enjoy:
If you tried this recipe for baked chicken chimichangas, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who have made my recipes.
Baked Chicken Chimichangas
This is the EASIEST Baked Chicken Chimichanga Recipe you'll ever try. This quick 6-ingredient recipe is perfect for busy nights when you don't want to cook. Made with rotisserie chicken, salsa, and baked in the oven this might become a new weekly favorite.
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup cheese shredded
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 green onions
- 1/2 tsp cumin
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
In a bowl combine the salsa, cumin, and green onions.
Break up the chicken so it's in small chunks and is shredded. Add the chicken to the salsa mixture and stir to combine.
Shred the cheese and stir in the cheese
Place 1/8th of the chicken mixture in the middle of a tortilla fold in the sides and roll up to secure then place in a casserole dish that’s been sprayed with some baking spray.
Repeat this process 7 more times.
Spray the tops with a little baking oil spray and bake for 10-15 minutes.
Top with your favorite toppings like salsa, lazy girl guac (avocado and salsa), sour cream, or a mixture of them all!