Spring is on the horizon and with that comes spring cleaning! If you are going to be tackling the dust and grime that has built up over the window don’t forget to clean your window tracks. Let me share the best way on how to clean window tracks fast!
They will look like new, and be bright and refreshing for opening up and letting that fresh air flow through your home. I have found this method below is what has set me up for success each and every time. Before you know it you will have clean window tracks for opening your windows and sliding door this spring and summer.
Most Effective Way to Clean Window Tracks
Vinegar and baking soda come together for one amazing window track cleaner that will tackle any buildup! Let me walk you through how to get your tracks clean in no time. Another area to consider cleaning are your tv screens, they can get dirty too.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. You can read my full disclosure here.
What Supplies Do You Need?
- Baking Soda
- Lemon, Eucalyptus, or Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Old Toothbrush or small bristled brush
- Microfiber cloth
- Spray Bottle
How to Clean Window Tracks
- The first step is pouring your vinegar into the spray bottle. I add in 5-10 drops of essential oil. I love using lemon or tea tree oil, but you are welcome to use a scent you like. The lemon, eucalyptus and tea tree offer antibacterial properties to help disinfect the area, which I like.
- Grab your vacuum and suck up any loose debris that is in or around your window track.
- Once you got it cleaned up as good as you can, sprinkle baking soda all over the track. A little bit to coat all over the tracks.
- Next shake your vinegar mix, and spritz over the track, it will lightly fizz.
- Grab an old toothbrush or stiff brush and use it to pull away any loose dirt on the tracks.
- Wipe away the dirt and grime you pull up with a microfiber cloth. If there is a lot just rinse and squeeze out your cloth and go back in for more.
- Repeat the baking soda, vinegar, and wiping steps over and over until all the debris is cleaned up.
Cleaning Window Tracks Quickly
You can go through and do this for all the tracks in your home, and then to stay caught up just wipe with a microfiber mop or vacuum throughout the year. I recommend cleaning your tracks with each season, so you don’t get a big amount of buildup.
How often should you clean window tracks?
I recommend cleaning your window tracks at least once a month. This way you stay on track of getting your window tracks clean and you don’t have the build-up of debris each time.
How do you clean mold off window tracks
If you notice mold in your window tracks, you can easily clean mold off window tracks. Wear gloves and a mask, and then spray the area with a water bottle. This will help the spores from spreading in the air. Start by washing the area with soap and water to remove any mold.
Then Mix 1/4 cup of bleach to a gallon of water. Scrub the area and allow some of the bleach water to sit on the track for around 15 minutes to disinfect. Wipe clean.
How do you clean a dirty window frame?
Another thing to watch for is a dirty window frame as you are cleaning window tracks. Take a dry old toothbrush and use to scrub away any dirt or buildup on the frame. Or use a q-tip for small areas that have buildup. Then reach for an all-purpose cleaner to spray on a microfiber cloth and wipe away.
What is the best way to clean window sills?
I personally start by vacuuming around my window sill to remove any debris. Take a small toothbrush to work around tough areas, and then follow up by using a cleaner to wipe down the rest of the area.