When it comes to wrapping presents finding good fitting boxes can be tricky. In this post, I’m going to show you how to create a DIY gift box. These handmade gift boxes are simple to make and take no time at all.
No need to spend money on gift boxes, they’re easy to make yourself. With just a few supplies you can make your own DIY gift box in just a matter of minutes.
I came across needing to make a gift box for an odd-shaped gift I was giving a while ago. So, I decided to make a homemade gift box out of cardstock, tape, and a paper cutter. I couldn’t believe how simple it was to make.
Other projects you might enjoy:
Below I’ve set out a step-by-step tutorial with photos and a video tutorial walking you through the entire process of making a gift box yourself.
Supplies for the DIY gift box
The supplies are minimal and you may have most of the items on hand in order to make your own diy gift box.
- Magnetic Puncher to create designs (optional)
- Scoring Board (optional, a ruler will work fine too)
- Craft Scissors
- Double Stick Tape
- Cardstock or Scrapbook Paper (Always use the sturdier version as they make the best boxes)
- Paper trimmer
- Decorative tape or bow
- A large flat surface to work on
How to make a gift box video tutorial:
The steps that you need for creating the DIY gift box are as follows:
How to Make a DIY Gift Box
- Lay down all your materials on top of the flat surface to start working.
Use two pieces of cardstock, one for the base and one for the lid. Make sure that you use complementary colors so that the base and the lid look smart.
- The measurements that you would be using here are for a small box
Start with two pieces of cardstock which are 8” in width and 8” in height.
- For the lid, use the scoring board and score at 2”, 6-1/8” marks.
- For the base, use the scoring board and score at 2”, 6” marks.
- Make parallel cuts along the scored lines for both the base and lid of the box.
Make parallel cuts along the scored lines for both the base and lid of the box. Cut along the scored lines which are on either side of the center square.
- Assemble the base and the lid using double-sided tape and assembling along the parallel cuts.
- Repeat the same process underneath the first row to create a 2×2 design.
For added decoration on your DIY gift box take these following steps:
With the scoring on the lid being done, take the Magnetic puncher and start making designs on the center square from its top left corner. Keep a margin of ½” from the left and top edges. Align the punching tool accordingly and punch the design. Repeat the process by moving the cardstock towards the left. A complete row should have formed. Use the guides on top of the puncher so as to align the punching tool accordingly and punch along a straight line.
If followed to perfection the gift box you make would not only look good but would also complement the present that you are gifting. Say goodbye to the ugly shipping boxes and let your relatives open a box of happiness.