Learning how to make your own laundry detergent tabs can save money, and be fun! Take your laundry to a whole other level and give this homemade laundry detergent recipe a try!
Our society thrives on convenience and doing laundry isn’t an exception to that rule. We love to make washing our laundry as easy as possible. There’s rarely any scrubbing involved (even if a stain is involved) and most members of society love to dump in the washer, shut the lid and walk away.
Check out this post:
Over the years, washing machines advancing technology has made doing our laundry so much easier. The only thing that has made our lives even easier are laundry detergent tabs! Laundry detergent tabs are so convenient, they literally do everything for you! They are pre-measured so we don’t even have to think twice about how much to use. There’s only one problem…the price adds up really quickly. Who knew that cleaning dirty laundry could be so expensive?!
If you don’t want to keep shelling out the high price, it’s time to consider making your own homemade laundry detergent tabs. The process isn’t hard, and the rewards are unbeatable!
Ingredients for making laundry tabs
1 ¼ cups laundry soap bar (such as Fels Naptha or Castile Soap) *One bar is roughly 1 ½ cups.
1 ¼ cups Borax
1 ¼ cups washing soda
5 to 10 drops of essential oils (optional)
½ to ¾ cup water
Directions to make homemade laundry detergent
- Use a food processor to grind up the laundry soap bar.
- Add the Borax and washing soap to the food processor and continue to process until everything is a fine powder.
- Mix in the essential oils and ½ to ¾ cup water. You want to add just enough so that the mixture holds together when molded in your hand.
- Place in a mold that holds roughly one tablespoon per slot, such as a silicone ice cube tray.
- Dry overnight, release from the mold and store in an airtight container.
- For small or regular sized loads you would use one tab and for large loads, you would use two.
Why I Love Making my Own Laundry Detergent Tabs
I think my most favorite reason that I love to make my own laundry detergent tabs is that it is extremely cost effective. I also love that I can use essential oils to give them my preferred natural scents instead of the chemical-laden store bought ones. And have I mentioned how simple they are?!
If you’re looking to save money in the new year, this is definitely one of the easiest things you can do! Making your own homemade laundry detergent not only smells better, but it’s also something to be proud of as well!