Make this cute and really easy tree skirt made from felt and yarn. This DIY Pom Pom Tree Skirt is a budget-friendly DIY project anyone can do.
My skinny tree needed a tree skirt. Last year I used burlap to wrap around the tree but this year I flocked it and decided on a silver and blue theme. I wanted to make one that was easy and budget-friendly. That’s where the idea of making a pom pom tree skirt came into play.
Other projects you might enjoy:
This is very simple, requires only a few supplies, and is budget-friendly. This project cost under $10 to make. Let’s dive in and let me show you how to make this DIY Pom Pom Tree Skirt.
Supplies for a pom pom tree skirt:
- White felt – Depending on the size tree skirt you’re making will determine the amount of felt you need. I used a 36″x36″ piece of felt for this project.
- Medium weight yarn – I used 2 colors for this project white and grey. Depending on the color scheme of your Christmas tree will determine the colors you use. For this project, I used 3 balls of grey and 1 ball of white.
- Scissors – Your favorite sharp craft scissors are perfect for this project.
- Tape measure – I used my sewing flexible tape measure for this project.
- Pen or marker – This will be used to create your circle template
- Hot glue gun and hot glue – My favorite hot glue is gorilla hot glue. It seems to last and hold up for almost any project.
- Pom Pom mold – I used a piece of card stock cut into a rectangle. For this one it was sized at 2.5″ x 5″. I cut a small slit down the middle of one side. This is a basically free way to make pom poms.
How to Make a DIY Pom Pom Tree Skirt
In the video below you can see the full tutorial so you can make your own DIY Pom Pom Tree Skirt.
Start off by measuring your felt. The base of my tree is 24″ in diameter so I measured 13.5″ from the center to create a 27″ diameter circle.
The easiest way to do this is to measure 13 1.2″ all the way around making marks about every 2-3 inches. Then you can easily cut out the circle when you’re done measuring.
Cut out the felt using the markings you placed creating a circle. Mine measured 27″.
Next you’ll want to cut the center slit and the middle so this will fit under a Christmas tree. To do that you’ll want to fold the felt in half and in half again and then mark the middle at 1 1/2 inches – 2 inches.
Now that the felt is cut out and ready to go it’s time to make the pom poms. I do have to say that this took the most time. I do recommend sitting down with your yarn and turning on a TV program while you make pom poms.
How to Make Pom Poms
Pom poms are really easy just time consuming. I cut of piece of cardstock 2.5″x5″. I cut a slit in the middle .25″ by 2.5″ this allowed me to tie the middle knot.
Here are the steps to make pom poms:
With medium-weight yarn wrap the yarn around your pom pom mold 10 times then trim off the excess yarn and secure with another piece of yarn that is double knotted.
For thinner yarn (the white yarn I used) I wrapped the yarn around the pom pom mold 20 times. That seemed to work well. I used 3 balls of grey yarn and 1 ball of white yarn for this pom pom tree skirt.
Next you’ll want to cut the folded pieces of yarn to finish off your pom pom. See image below:
Hot glue the pom poms on the felt
Next you’ll hot glue the pom poms onto the felt. I outlined the tree skirt with white pom poms and then filled in the middle with grey adding a few white pom poms.
I hope you enjoyed this DIY Pom Pom Tree Skirt tutorial. I’m really happy with how it turned out. Most of this items I already had on hand. I did purchase the felt but everything else I had at home. For me, this cost me $1.99 to make.