Clean your toilet and leave your bathroom smelling fresh and clean with these Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner Tablets. These easy to make DIY Toilet Fizzies are made with 3 simple household ingredients leaving your toilets clean in between scrubbings.
If you dread cleaning toilets and need a simple solution to keep your bathroom smelling clean and fresh then you’re going to love these homemade toilet bowl cleaner tablets.
Made with 3 simple ingredients they clean and deodorize your toilet by simply tossing a tab into the toilet and allowing it to do the work while you spend time on other things.
Here are a few other projects you might enjoy:
I’m a weirdo and I like to clean my house. It’s like therapy. Turn on some music and then I get lost in my daily cleaning. But if I’m being completely honest with you, I hate cleaning the bathroom.
I’ve been using these DIY toilet fizzies for a while now and felt like it was time to share them with you! I make a new batch about once a month. They’re really easy and take about 5 minutes of “hand on” time and about 30 minutes to an hour of drying time.
Supplies you’ll need for Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner Tablets are:
- Baking soda – it acts as a cleaning agent because it’s on the mild alkali scale and can cause dirt and grime to dissolve easily in water. It’s also non-toxic perfect to use around the house.
- Citric Acid – it kills bacteria, mold, and mildew, it’s great for disinfecting and cleaning. The combination of the baking soda, citric acid, and water will create the fizz to happen.
- Essential Oils – this will help keep your room smelling fresh and clean. There are also anti-bacterial benefits to using certain essential oils. For this, I use a combo of eucalyptus, lemon, and tea tree essential oils
- Water in a spray bottle – this will help bind the ingredients together to create tablets.
- Large Bowl – I use a large glass mixing bowl to combine the ingredients in.
- Whisk – I use a wire whisk to stir the ingredients. I avoid wood or plastic so the essential oils to soak up into the material.
- Ice Cube Tray – you’ll use this to create the tablets. I have an ice cube tray that has silicone bottoms. This makes it easy to remove the tablets.
- Mason Jar – you’ll want a mason jar or some type of container with a lid to store your tablets.
Let’s go ahead and make these DIY Toilet Fizzies!
I’ve created a short video tutorial or you can follow the steps below.
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 40 drops of essential oils
- White vinegar in a spray bottle
How to Make Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner Tablets
Combine the dry ingredients
In a large glass bowl combine the baking soda and citric acid. Stir to combine.
Add essential oils
Next mix in the essential oils. Stir to combine. I used a combination of lemon, tea tree, and eucalyptus. I added about 13 drops of each scent.
Spray in vinegar
Slowly add vinegar to the dry mixture. Do not add too much as expanding will happen when it’s drying. Add enough until you can squeeze the mixture in your hand and it stays together.
Please note, that I did try a batch using water and it did not work. I saw recipes using water and the tabs never set they only expanded.
Add mixture to your mold
I use an ice cube tray to make these tablets. Add the mixture to your mold. Allow to sit for 10 minutes then you can remove them to dry on a rack or piece of parchment paper.
If you don’t have an ice cube tray you can use a measuring spoon and make round tabs.
Store in a jar with a lid
It’s important to store these in a glass jar with a lid to keep out moisture so they don’t expand.
How to use these homemade toilet bowl cleaner tablets?
I add a tablet to each toilet once a day. Allow it to fizz up for about 5 minutes then I flush the toilet.
These are perfect to use in between cleanings. I still do scrub my toilet once a week but the toilets are easier to clean using these tablets. They also make your bathroom smell fresh and clean.